Friday, 11 November 2011

Will the new CWaC service provide long-term support for stroke sufferers?

New service will provide long-term support for stroke sufferers.

Cheshire West and Chester Council is working with the Stroke Association to provide a new long-term service to provide support for stroke sufferers.

In West Cheshire alone there are around 380 people diagnosed as having a stroke each year and an estimated 3,188 people living with its effects of which 1,020 have moderate or severe disability caused by a stroke.

The new service means that patients are now supported beyond an initial six-month intensive re-ablement programme.

Read the full story from the source CWaC Council 

My comment: Will they live up to their promise or is it just more spin? Read an email I recently received from a correspondent and reach your own conclusions. 

"I'm one of the stroke sufferers (mild one in June 2007) and what support have I been offered? I approached both their predecessor CCC and CWaC and got nowhere. I am MEANT to have an Outreach Worker, according to their spin, but was never offered one. If I hadn't got a supportive wife, children and wider family, where would I be now?

That's my personal experience of the councils. After 4 years, I'm mostly fine but have residual numbness on my left and some minor weakness. The main problem I have now is epilepsy as a result of the stroke."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note all comments are moderated and will not be published unless they are relevant to the post in question and do not contain statements or links to material which could be considered defamatory.